Thursday, September 3, 2009

If The Shoe Fits..

Dear Jimmy, Manolo, Cole, Tory, Jeffrey, Steve and others,

I write to you not out of obligation but of necessity. Labor Day is over, fall is officially approaching and, while I am not at all prepared to put away my SPF 4 or my tank tops, the crisp wind in the air does signify the start of something wonderful: boot season. Forget what the song says, boot season is by far the most wonderful time of the year. Tights, skirts, scarves, trench coats - they all serve to flatter the boot and that first time you get to strut down Newbury St wearing your slammin calfskin Tory Burch booties, you feel like a kid again. I mean, look at this gorgeous art that Cole Haan has presented us with - grey suede with a bold silver buckle. It's heaven...as long as you're 5'8" and under.

These grey boots have a 3 1/4" heel. Math isn't my strong suit but just humor me for a minute. As I stand at 6'1" (eh, 6'1" and 1/2" but who is counting?), if I were to don this pair of shoes, I would measure in/up at 6'4" and 3/4". Do you know how tall 6'4" is?? I love my height, always have (well except for those high school years but, come on, I had to stand at the back of every class photo and after a while the ego takes a brusin!), but I love shoes more. Exhibit A: my shoe wall. I'm fortunate enough to be the benefactor of a ridiculously large walk-in closet and I arranged it so that an entire wall is dedicated to shoes. Hey, if you can do it, you do it. Check it out. Pretty sweet huh?


While this picture proves that I certainly havent had any trouble finding shoes to purchase, I do so long for the day when kitten heels are just as popular as stilettos. Yes I will concede that the return of the ballet flat has done wonders for this section of my closet, but when it comes to boots - heel height still reigns surpeme. Last year, I spent about six months looking for a respectable pair of black work boots but the choices were always flat heeled riding boots (not a look I can pull off) or towering high heeled classic leather stylish boots. Why no middle ground? Do you think that there isnt a market for clean, classic boots with a small heel? Put down that market research report because I can tell you one thing for sure: the market is there. I'll sustain it myself if I have to! But it's there.

A quick search of Nordstrom.com's shoe section (which I will applaud as having a large range of size 11 shoes, a familiar stomping ground for us tall girls), with the request being for boots with a 1-2" heel results in shoes that can mostly be lumped into two groups: cowboy boots. and gollashes. You're better than that. I have faith that you will see the light and provide me with darling boots with respectable non-stileeto heels. I know you can do it. I believe in you. I have to. It's either that or I resort to wearing these floral-embossed cowboy boots and, with all due respect, that ain't gonna happen.

Sincerely yours,

Laura


1 comment: